Police have captured the man suspected of fatally shooting 19-year-old food delivery driver Luka Milovac in Drniš on Saturday evening, ending a 28-hour manhunt involving helicopters, drones, and search dogs.
19:55 / 18.05.2026.
Author: Katja Miličić

Author:
Katja Miličić
Published:
May 18, 2026, 19:55
Police have captured the man suspected of fatally shooting 19-year-old food delivery driver Luka Milovac in Drniš on Saturday evening, ending a 28-hour manhunt involving helicopters, drones, and search dogs.
Police said 50-year-old Kristijan Aleksić was armed with a knife and a gun and resisted arrest when officers apprehended him at around 2:30 a.m. near the scene of the crime.
“Croatian police demonstrated that they are equipped, trained, and ready to respond in the most dangerous situations. Anyone trying to outrun the law must know that they will be caught,” Interior Minister Davor Božinović said.
The killing has left the Drniš community in shock. Aleksić has five criminal convictions, including one for aggravated murder. He has also faced charges of illegal weapons possession since 2023.
“I also understand why the public is asking how a person with this kind of criminal history was free. And that is a legitimate question. All of the circumstances in this case, including the actions of the authorities, must be reviewed in detail,” Božinović said.
Justice Minister Damir Habijan expressed frustration that Aleksić had reportedly not appeared at a single hearing in more than two years on a previous charge.
“I, as justice minister, am shocked by all this, especially if media reports are accurate that this case was not being fast-tracked. That is scandalous, considering this is someone who was previously convicted of aggravated murder, disciplined for assault while in prison, and found guilty of misdemeanor domestic violence offenses,” Habijan said.
Schools in Drniš were closed on Monday as the victim was a high school senior.
“We are doing everything we can to make this easier for the students, who have suffered a great shock. We contacted the Regional Mental Health Center and expect assistance soon to help our students as much as possible,” high school principal Hrvoje Pekas said.
Authorities have declared Tuesday a day of mourning.
Milovac was not alone when he was killed. His friend, Ivan Baričević, witnessed the shooting and says the victim was uneasy about going alone to Aleksić’s home because the suspect had a reputation for violence.
“As his longtime friend, I offered to go with him. I told him I’d accompany him and that everything would be fine because I would be there. We climbed the stairs to the terrace. Kristijan opened the door and told us to come in. Luka went to hand him the delivery, and then he fired,” Baričević said.
“When I saw Luka fall to the ground, I ran down the stairs and to the car. The car wouldn’t start, and when I opened the door, I saw Aleksić running after me. I took off and ran to the pizzeria, where I told them what happened and asked them to contact police immediately.”
Vijesti HRT-a pratite na svojim pametnim telefonima i tabletima putem aplikacija za iOS i Android. Pratite nas i na društvenim mrežama Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok i YouTube!

Autorska prava - HRT © Hrvatska radiotelevizija.
Sva prava pridržana.
hrt.hr nije odgovoran za sadržaje eksternih izvora