Prime Minister and HDZ leader Andrej Plenković on Monday condemned the behavior of Homeland Movement (DP) MP Josip Dabro, who appeared in a video cheerfully praising Croatian World War II–era pro-fascist leader Ante Pavelić.
21:41 / 16.02.2026.
Author: Katja Miličić

Author:
Katja Miličić
Published:
February 16, 2026, 21:41
Prime Minister and HDZ leader Andrej Plenković on Monday condemned the behavior of Homeland Movement (DP) MP Josip Dabro, who appeared in a video cheerfully praising Croatian World War II–era pro-fascist leader Ante Pavelić.
The State Attorney’s Office confirmed it is reviewing the matter.
Plenković described the song in the video as “completely inappropriate” and said such conduct has no place in public office. However, he signaled there would be no immediate political consequences.
“We condemn such behavior by MP Dabro. There is no place for it in someone who holds such an important position,” Plenković said after meeting senior HDZ officials on Monday evening.
He added that he would speak with coalition partners — the Homeland Movement and the Croatian Social Liberal Party (HSLS) — at a coalition meeting.
“We will ask MP Dabro to stop such behavior. I assume my colleagues from DP will also have something to say on this issue,” he said.
The Homeland Movement is a key partner in the ruling coalition and essential to the HDZ’s parliamentary majority.
Dabro resigned from a cabinet post last year following separate inappropriate behavior that surfaced on social media.
Coalition partners are set to meet Tuesday. HSLS leader Dario Hrebak has threatened to leave the coalition, writing “Enough is enough” on Facebook.
Despite the controversy, most coalition members — and many in the opposition — do not believe it will bring down the government.
Dabro’s party colleague Dubravka Lipovac Pehar declined to condemn his actions.
“I’m not going to judge, but these things should not be voiced publicly, especially not now,” she said. Asked why she would not condemn the behavior, she replied: “He said himself that it was his right to sing whatever he wants.”
SDP MP Arsen Bauk called for legal consequences.
“Dabro’s actions represent a qualified form of disturbing public peace and order and we expect a misdemeanor penalty,” Bauk said.
Ivica Ledenko of Most suggested the controversy was politically motivated.
“I think this is part of DP’s attempt to attract attention. Their approval ratings are very low and this kind of outrageous act is an opportunity to make headlines,” he said.
Bosniak minority MP Armin Hodžić said he believes the coalition will survive the latest dispute.
Independent MP Vesna Vučemilović issued a broader condemnation.
“All dictatorial regimes should not be celebrated — neither Tito’s nor anyone else’s. We should condemn all forms of totalitarianism,” she said.
Vijesti HRT-a pratite na svojim pametnim telefonima i tabletima putem aplikacija za iOS i Android. Pratite nas i na društvenim mrežama Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok i YouTube!

Autorska prava - HRT © Hrvatska radiotelevizija.
Sva prava pridržana.
hrt.hr nije odgovoran za sadržaje eksternih izvora