20:18 / 20.08.2026.

Author: Katja Miličić

Lawmakers clash over hazardous waste in Gospić

Izvanredna sjednica Sabora
Izvanredna sjednica Sabora
Foto: HTV / HRT

Croatian lawmakers cut short their summer break and returned to the Sabor today for a two-day special session on the hazardous waste crisis in Gospić, called by President Zoran Milanović.

The session has been tumultuous, with sharp verbal attacks and insults exchanged between the ruling majority and opposition.


Sabor Speaker Gordan Jandroković has given each parliamentary club 30 minutes to speak. With rebuttals also allowed, the session is expected to continue late into the evening.


The governing majority maintains that the 37 tons of hazardous waste illegally dumped over several years at a former industrial farm in Gospić do not pose a threat to local residents' health. They cited testing by the Croatian Public Health Bureau, which found that so-called forever chemicals detected in the local water supply were within acceptable limits. The ruling majority accused the opposition of politicizing the issue for its own purposes.


The opposition, meanwhile, argues that the government failed to properly monitor the disposal of hazardous waste and allowed the problem to fester, not only in Gospić but across Croatia.


"This is an act of open hostility towards Croatia. This is high treason," said Nikola Grmoja of Most.


"This is not about a specific crime; this is about the government's sponsorship of these kinds of crimes!" said Sandra Benčić of Možemo.


Nearly two years have passed since it was discovered that hazardous materials had been illegally deposited at the former industrial farm in Gospić. The opposition is demanding the site be cleaned up immediately, while the HDZ argues that the problem cannot be solved overnight.


Health Minister Irena Hrstić said the water in Gospić and Lika-Senj County was not contaminated and that additional testing would be carried out as needed.


"The water is safe now and has been for years. That has been proven over the past year of increased monitoring. The overall health of Lika-Senj County residents is good, including with respect to cancer," Hrstić said.


Environment Minister Marija Vučković said a call for tenders for the removal of the waste from the Gospić site was issued in June.


Justice Minister Damir Habijan said legislation is being drafted to introduce tougher penalties for environmental crimes. Under the proposed changes, sentences could range from 10 years to life in prison.


"These types of crimes will not have a statute of limitations. We will also change existing legislation to raise the fines for companies that commit these crimes to up to 50 million euros," Habijan said.


SDP leader Siniša Hajdaš Dončić said the resignation of a single minister would not resolve the problem.


"If they tell us tomorrow that it is enough for the minister to resign, that is not taking responsibility. That is just diverting attention from the person who signed off on the regulations that made this possible," Hajdaš Dončić said, adding that the SDP is calling for a vote of no confidence in the prime minister.


Meanwhile, environmental activists from Gospić are planning a protest in Zagreb on September 5 to draw attention to the issue. President Milanović, who called for the special session, is not attending.


Prime Minister Andrej Plenković, speaking during a visit to Split today, responded to the opposition's arguments.


"The opposition's politicking, propped up by campaigns, does not impress us. We've seen too much of this over the past decade to react to a fabricated effort by the opposition. The government is stable, the majority is stable, criminal liability for this will be resolved, the effects on health will be monitored, and the cleanup will be carried out."


The prime minister also criticized the media and urged journalists to report the facts. He called the spread of disinformation irresponsible, referring to reports about contaminated water, and emphasized that the Public Health Bureau had determined that the water in Gospić was safe.



Vijesti HRT-a pratite na svojim pametnim telefonima i tabletima putem aplikacija za iOS i Android. Pratite nas i na društvenim mrežama Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok i YouTube!