Drniš observed a day of mourning as the town, the county, and the whole of Croatia paid their last respects to Luka Milovac, a young man who was shot and killed over the weekend by a convicted murderer.
19:13 / 19.05.2026.
Author: Nikola Badovinac

Author:
Nikola Badovinac
Published:
May 19, 2026, 19:13
Drniš observed a day of mourning as the town, the county, and the whole of Croatia paid their last respects to Luka Milovac, a young man who was shot and killed over the weekend by a convicted murderer.
The cities of Šibenik and Zadar observed nineteen minutes of silence—one for each year of Luka’s life—in response to what officials and citizens have described as serious institutional failures that contributed to the tragedy.
Hrvoje Pekas, principal of Ivan Meštrović High School in Drniš, said the country must be fully “committed to changing both society and the institutions whose failures allowed this to happen. The message is clear: no child should ever be a victim of such a tragedy.”
“We want answers as soon as possible. Why was Luka—an athlete, student, and fellow citizen—killed?” said Drniš Mayor Tomislav Dželalija.
Šibenik-Knin County Prefect Paško Rakić said that while it was not the time for blame, “the people of Drniš and Šibenik-Knin County deserve answers—what led to this tragedy, and how can similar tragedies be prevented in the future?”
The Minister of Education said that all necessary assistance and support would be provided to Luka’s classmates and fellow students, as well as to teachers and parents.
Prime Minister Andrej Plenković commented on the case, noting that an investigation is underway. He said it is necessary to closely examine the actions of the Šibenik Court and the County State Attorney’s Office, adding that the murder of a young man by a repeat offender who had previously served 15 years in prison for murder has deeply shaken the country. He stressed that the investigation must determine whether there were any failures by the relevant institutions.
Meanwhile, members of parliament lit candles and observed 19 minutes of silence in Luka’s memory.
Možemo! MP Ivana Kekin said she remained hopeful that society, together with relevant institutions, could ensure that such a tragedy never happens again.
Marijana Puljak of the Centre party questioned how the situation was possible, noting that a convicted murderer found in illegal possession of a firearm in 2023 remained free for two and a half years because the case was not treated as urgent.
Speaking on behalf of the ruling HDZ-led coalition, MP Danica Baričević said the government was also demanding accountability for any potential institutional failures, using all available parliamentary and governmental mechanisms.
Vijesti HRT-a pratite na svojim pametnim telefonima i tabletima putem aplikacija za iOS i Android. Pratite nas i na društvenim mrežama Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok i YouTube!

Autorska prava - HRT © Hrvatska radiotelevizija.
Sva prava pridržana.
hrt.hr nije odgovoran za sadržaje eksternih izvora