After several deadly cases of bovine anthrax were registered over the past few days in the Dalmatian hinterland, a so-called 'anthrax district' was declared in three municipalities in Split-Dalmatia County and seven municipalities in Šibenik-Knin County. A mass vaccination program of all livestock in the region began on Monday.
Vaccination in response to the recently confirmed cases of anthrax in cattle in the Dalmatian hinterland continued on Tuesday. The State Inspectorate has called on all livestock farmers in the region to comply with the prescribed measures and cooperate with the veterinary services.
"In parallel with the vaccination, we are actively working on a compensation program for all livestock farmers who are dealing with the costs, both financial and material. We have a confirmed anthrax infection and we must treat it seriously and responsibly. We are not ruling out other potentially infectious diseases," said Deputy Prime Minister and Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Minister, David Vlajčić.
Meanwhile, the MOST Party held a press conference in the town of Ružić today, at which MP Ivica Ledenko said that a failure to keep citizens properly informed about the anthrax cases has led to distrust among livestock farmers: "We are asking for the urgent formation of a headquarters with a clear structure, so that all interested parties can receive prompt information, which has not been the case so far. Secondly, prompted by our experience three years ago in Lonjsko Polje, we expect the government to urgently provide funds to compensate livestock farmers for damage because we are facing a major crisis here."
Source: HRT