22:11 / 15.06.2022.

Author: Katja Miličić

Hajduk fans who clashed with police released from custody

Hajduk fans released under precautionary measures

Hajduk fans released under precautionary measures

Foto: Goran Stanzl / Srećko Niketić / Pixsell / HRT

A group of 25 Hajduk football fans who clashed with police last month were released from investigative custody on Wednesday. 

The men were released at the prosecutor’s request under the condition that they must stay away from any sports events and check-in with police regularly pending the outcome of their cases. All of the men are accused of rioting. 


The violence erupted near a highway rest stop as a convoy of Hajduk fans were returning home after the match against Dinamo in Zagreb on May 22. Police fired live ammunition at attacking fans in the worst incident of football fan violence ever in Croatia.


Thirty-five people were injured, including 20 police officers and four fans who were wounded by bullets fired by police after fans attacked them will metal bars, bats, and flares.


Interior Minister Davor Božinović said on Wednesday that he had initiated a dialogue between police, the Croatian Football Federation, clubs, and fans in an effort to calm tensions.


Božinović also said he had spoken to UEFA President Aleksander Čeferin on Monday to get a better understanding of UEFA’s position on how to handle the issue.


“We’ve agreed to work together with the federation, clubs, and fans on signing a kind of protocol with police,” Božinović said.


"It is in the interest of everyone involved in securing sporting events to put football back into the hands of those who truly enjoy the sport, the fans who want to bring their families, their kids, to the games,"  Božinović added.


Vijesti HRT-a pratite na svojim pametnim telefonima i tabletima putem aplikacija za iOS i Android. Pratite nas i na društvenim mrežama Facebook, Twitter, Instagram i YouTube!