Croatia picked up their first three points in 2022 World Cup qualifying with a narrow victory over Cyprus, putting their campaign back on track.
Croatia managed a 1:0 home win with a first-half header by Mario Pašalić in their second Group H match on Saturday in Rijeka.
Coach Zlatko Dalić’s team again had difficulty coping with an opponent focused exclusively on defense.
Croatia now have three points from two games. They lost their opening match against Slovenia 1-0. Cyprus have 1 point after a scoreless draw with Slovakia. Russia lead the group with six points after defeating Slovenia 2:1 earlier on Saturday.
Croatia have one more qualification match coming up, against Malta on Tuesday, also in Rijeka.
- 717,000 people in Croatia vaccinated against coronavirus
- Third wave of coronavirus epidemic waning
- Minister Medved says family homes to be rebuilt in Banovina by fall
- 37,515 buildings inspected in earthquake hit Sisak-Moslavina County
- Tesla statue returns to Gospić
- Health minister administers vaccine doses in Zagreb