In the 2nd round Vekić will play the winner of the match between Slovenian Polona Hercog (WTA - 45th) and Italian Elisabetta Cocciaretto (WTA - 156th).
On Monday Croatian tennis player Donna Vekić (WTA - 24th) registered the first win following in the resumption of the WTA season that was put on hold due to the coronavirus. In 75 minutes of play Vekić beat the Dutch Arantxa Rus (WTA - 70th) 6:1, 6:2 in their 1st round match at the WTA tournament in Palermo, Italy.
It took just over half an hour of play for the 24-year-old from Osijek to win the first set in which the 29-year-old Rus won only the first game. In a dominant display Vekić won eight games straight between the first and second sets.
Vekić had a brief loss of concentration, which allowed Rus back into the second set. However, with the score 2:2 in the second set Vekić regained control of the court and surged to a 6:2 win.
Also in Palermo is Croatia's best ranked player Petra Martić (WTA - 15th), who is the tournament's first seed. She will play Belgium's Alison Van Uytvanck (WTA - 57) on Tuesday."
- President: Croatia will not support unilateral revision of Dayton Agreement
- Number of coronavirus cases in Croatia in decline
- Numbers of new coronavirus cases dropping
- Croatian troops leave Afghanistan
- Prime Minister attends installation of new Mostar-Duvno Bishop
- Coronavirus spike appears to be declining