Mario Mandžukić, Ivica Olić and Ivan Rakitić received bronze plaques dedicated to them at the central square in Slavonski Brod as a sign of thanks for promoting the city of Slavonski Brod by achieving one of the best sports results in their careers, winning the silver medal at the World Cup in Russia in 2018.
All citizens of Slavonski Brod remember the moment when Mario Mandžukić, born in Slavonski Brod, held a Croatian flag with the name of the city written on it after defeating England in the semi-finals. Ivica Olić, a former national team player and assistant coach to Zlatko Dalić, was born in Davor near Nova Gradiška, while Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitić has roots from Sikirevci near Slavonski Brod.
Mandžukić and Olić held short speeches at the ceremonial uncovering, while Ivan Rakitić could not attend due to obligations with the national team that gathered in Zagreb yesterday.
- Croatian diplomat recalled to explain racist remarks
- Croatia celebrates Feast of the Assumption
- Croatian police praised for Frontex training to strengthen EU borders
- Italian family poisoned by carbon monoxide?
- Medical Association: Disable false prophets from spreading lies about vaccination
- Prime Minister speaks about investments and demographics on Hvar