Croatia’s top ranked female tennis player beat Sweden’s Peterson in three sets to advance to the round of sixteen.
Croatian tennis player Petra Martić (WTA 22) is through to the round of sixteen in Wuhan China, after a 6:0, 3:6, 6:1 win over Sweden's Rebecca Peterson in a match that latest one hour and 52 minutes.
After breezing to an easy win in the first set Martić ran into trouble in the middle of the second set. With the set tied at three games apiece, Martić failed to capitalize on two break-balls. She followed this by losing her serve to the Swede giving Peterson a 5:3 lead in the set and the serve to even the score, which the Swede did. Martić re-established her dominance in the third set, winning the last five games in succession.
Martić will play Russian Veronika Kudmertova next for a place in the quarterfinals.
- Croatian government sending equipment and 100,000 euros in aid to Lebanon
- WWII bomber discovered in Biševo Channel
- Croatia celebrates 25th anniversary of operation Storm
- Ivo Zorica wins 305th Sinj Alka
- Zlatni rat and Nugal among the 25 most beautiful European beaches
- 25th anniversary of Slunj liberation celebrated