Croatia’s top ranked female tennis player made easy work of her first round opponent, France’s Mladenović, with a straight sets win in just 71 minutes of play.
Petra Martić advanced to the second round of play at the WTA tennis tournament in Wuhan, China on Monday after beating France's Kristina Mladenović (WTA 44) 6:2, 6:2. Martić served up four aces, with a first serve percentage of 71%. She broke her opponents serve five times, three times in the first set and twice in the second, and only lost her serve once in the match.
This was the sixth meeting between the two players and Martić’s fifth win. In the second round Martic will play against Switzerland's Belinda Benčić (WTA 10). Martić won their only previous match.
Donna Vekić was less fortunate in Wuhan, losing her first round match to Tunisian Ons Jabeur (WTA 54) 4:6, 6:3, 6:3. Vekić made five double faults in the match and lost her serve six times.
According to the latest WTA and ATP rankings released on Monday Martić is 22nd overall, followed by Vekić at 23rd. On the men’s list Borna Ćorić leads the Croatian men at 14th overall, followed by Marin Čilić 28th and veteran Ivo Karlović 78th.
- Croatian government sending equipment and 100,000 euros in aid to Lebanon
- WWII bomber discovered in Biševo Channel
- Croatia celebrates 25th anniversary of operation Storm
- Ivo Zorica wins 305th Sinj Alka
- Zlatni rat and Nugal among the 25 most beautiful European beaches
- 25th anniversary of Slunj liberation celebrated