Following Hajduk's surprise 3:1 loss to Gzira United from Malta in Split on Thursday night, in which Hajduk blew a 2 goal advantage from the first leg, the club’s management decided to make a change at the helm.
The shocking loss to Gzira United meant that Hajduk was eliminated from the Europa League qualifiers in the first round. Hajduk’s front office has decided to sack coach Siniša Oreščanin and replaced him with Damir Burić. Burić led the team once before during the 2015/2016 season. He was sacked after finishing third in the Croatian First League and losing in the semifinals of the Croatia Cup competition.
The 55 year-old former defender spent the bulk of his playing career in Germany, playing for clubs such as Waldhof Mannheim, SC Freiburg and Borussia Mönchengladbach. He also spent the majority of his coaching career in Germany, as an assistant in clubs such as Freiburg, Bayer Leverkusen and Werder Bremen.
- Croatian diplomat recalled to explain racist remarks
- Croatia celebrates Feast of the Assumption
- Day of survivors of Serbian concentration camps observed in Knin
- Croatian police praised for Frontex training to strengthen EU borders
- Heatwave warning in effect
- Italian family poisoned by carbon monoxide?