GoranI Ivanišević (Igor Kralj/PIXSELL) GoranI Ivanišević (Igor Kralj/PIXSELL)

The International Tennis Hall of Fame issued a statement this week announcing the ceremony would be postponed until next year.

“The Induction Ceremony and festivities for Class of 2020 inductees Conchita Martínez and Goran Ivanišević had been scheduled for July 18. Martínez and Ivanišević will now be honored in July 2021, alongside any new inductees elected for the Class of 2021,” the organization said on its website.

“Finding out that I was going to be inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame was already a huge joy and honor for me this year. I will gladly wait until next year for the actual celebration so we can all focus on what matters right now, which is of course, health,” Ivanišević said in response to the announcement.

“While we will miss the annual traditions of Enshrinement Weekend and the Hall of Fame Open this year, the health and safety of all those involved and our local community is the priority,” stated Todd Martin, International Tennis Hall of Fame CEO. “We are looking forward to providing Conchita and Goran the celebration they deserve in becoming Hall of Famers and bringing the best of professional tennis back to Newport next summer.”