This marks the first time in the 23 year-old Osijek native’s career that she has reached the quarterfinals of any of the grand slam tournaments.
Croatia's Donna Vekić (WTA 23) is through to the quarter-finals of the US Open following a 6:7, 7:5, 6:3 come-from-behind win over Germany's Julia Görges (WTA 30) in the fourth round of play. Of their four head-to-head meetings this is the first time Vekić has beaten the German veteran.
Vekić will play Switzerland's Belinda Benčić (WTA 12) for a place in the semifinals on Wednesday, after Benčić beat world number one and reigning US Open champion Naomi Osaka of Japan in straight sets.
In the men's draw, Marin Čilić (ATP 23) was less fortunate, losing his fourth round match to world number two Rafael Nadal of Spain 6:3, 3:6, 6:1, 6:2. Čilić, who has been struggling with his form all season, played some of his best tennis all season during his run in Flushing Meadows to achieve the best result of the season at the tournament he won back in 2014.
- Croatian government sending equipment and 100,000 euros in aid to Lebanon
- WWII bomber discovered in Biševo Channel
- Croatia celebrates 25th anniversary of operation Storm
- Ivo Zorica wins 305th Sinj Alka
- Zlatni rat and Nugal among the 25 most beautiful European beaches
- 25th anniversary of Slunj liberation celebrated