This marks the first time in the 23 year-old Osijek native’s career that she has reached the quarterfinals of any of the grand slam tournaments.
Croatia's Donna Vekić (WTA 23) is through to the quarter-finals of the US Open following a 6:7, 7:5, 6:3 come-from-behind win over Germany's Julia Görges (WTA 30) in the fourth round of play. Of their four head-to-head meetings this is the first time Vekić has beaten the German veteran.
Vekić will play Switzerland's Belinda Benčić (WTA 12) for a place in the semifinals on Wednesday, after Benčić beat world number one and reigning US Open champion Naomi Osaka of Japan in straight sets.
In the men's draw, Marin Čilić (ATP 23) was less fortunate, losing his fourth round match to world number two Rafael Nadal of Spain 6:3, 3:6, 6:1, 6:2. Čilić, who has been struggling with his form all season, played some of his best tennis all season during his run in Flushing Meadows to achieve the best result of the season at the tournament he won back in 2014.
- Marija Pejčinović Burić assuming duties as Council of Europe Secretary General
- Central square in Ogulin named after General Petar Stipetić
- Government accepts demands by “67 is too much” initiative
- Unions demand parliament debate on pension reforms
- HBOR and commercial banks agree to new loan deal for farmers
- Production begins at 3rd of May shipyard in Rijeka