The Croatian national football team faces Slovakia on Friday evening in the first of two UEFA European Championships 2020 qualifiers over the next five days.
Croatia and Slovakia are scheduled to kick-off at 21:45 CET on Friday, September 6th, at the Anton Malatinský Stadium in the Slovakian city of Trnava.
Head Coach Zlatko Dalić said he anticipated a tough and demanding match against a skilled Slovakian team: "We will play an offensive, attacking game. We're not going after one point, we want the win. That's the most important thing for us. We'll announce the starting line up tomorrow. We practiced for two days, did what we could and made a quality analysis of the opponent. It won't be easy but we know what to expect."
At the same time, Coach Dalić warned that his players had to be focused and engaged if they were to get the win and improve their standing in the group.
The Croatian team will then travel to Baku where they will face Azerbaijan on Monday, September 9th, in Bakcell Arena. Opening kick-off for that game is for 19:45 local time.
Going into the two games, Hungary is atop Group "E" with nine points from four games. Each with a game in hand, Slovakia and Croatia are second and third respectively. Both teams have six points from three games; however, Slovakia has a better goal for and against ratio. Wales is fourth with three points, while Azerbaijan is last in the group and is yet to register a point.
- Marija Pejčinović Burić assuming duties as Council of Europe Secretary General
- Central square in Ogulin named after General Petar Stipetić
- Government accepts demands by “67 is too much” initiative
- Unions demand parliament debate on pension reforms
- HBOR and commercial banks agree to new loan deal for farmers
- Production begins at 3rd of May shipyard in Rijeka