Croatia defeated Switzerland 3-2 in their second Group D match of the U21 European Championship in Kopar, Slovenia on Sunday, keeping their hopes alive of reaching the quarterfinals.
It was a historic moment for the Croatian team, who have never won a tournament game at the Under-21 level unitl now. Croatia capitalized on an error by Swiss goalkeeper Racioppi to take the lead with a goal by Luka Ivanušec early on in the first half. After the break, Croatia extended their lead to 3-0 with goals from Nikola Moro and Dario Vizinger.
Switzerland scored on a pentalty in the 79' putting pressure on Croatia to secure the win. Then, disaster struck in the 89' as forward Sandro Kulenović sent the ball into his own net. However, Croatia held on thanks in part to a fine save from Dominik Kotarski in stoppage time.
- 717,000 people in Croatia vaccinated against coronavirus
- Third wave of coronavirus epidemic waning
- Minister Medved says family homes to be rebuilt in Banovina by fall
- 37,515 buildings inspected in earthquake hit Sisak-Moslavina County
- Tesla statue returns to Gospić
- Health minister administers vaccine doses in Zagreb