This is Ćorić’s eighth career ATP final. He will be looking to claim his third title after wins in Marrakesh and Halle.
Borna Čorić (ATP 15), advanced to the final of the ATP tournament in St. Petersburg Russia after defeating Portugal's Joao Sousa (ATP 64) 3:6, 7:6 (5), 6:1 in 2 hours and 18 minutes of play in the semifinals on Saturday. He registered wins against Hungarian Márton Fucsovics and Norwegian Casper Ruud to reach the semifinal.
Čorić opened the match poorly, with Sousa easily taking the first set. However, the Zagreb native managed to take the second set despite an inability to break his opponent’s serve. In the third set he finally capitalized on his 14th break point of the match and then cruised to a decisive win in the final set.
This was the second meeting between the two players and the second victory for the Croatian. In the final Ćorić will play the tournament’s first seed, Russian Daniil Medvedev, who beat Belarusian qualifier Egor Gerasimov in straight sets 7:5, 7:5.
- Vukovar gets street name in Bratislava
- Advocate General says border arbitration does not fall under EU law
- Opposition to file no-confidence motion against Minister Divjak
- Households contribute to massive food waste in Croatia
- 20th anniversary of the death of Franjo Tudjman marked in Split
- Government cabinet session held in Krapina