Both players won their matches in straight sets, with Čilić through to the quarterfinals at the Citi Open in Washington and Vekić through to the quarterfinals of the Silicon Valley Classic in San Jose.
In the third round of play in Washington Marin Čilić made easy work of Felix Auger-Aliassime, beating the 18 year-old Canadian in straight sets 6:3, 6:4 in a match that lasted one hour and thirty minutes.
After a bye in the first round and a win over Romania’s Marius Copil in the second, Čilić now awaits the winner of the match between Russian Danilo Medvedev and American Frances Tiafoe.
At the Silicon Valley Classic WTA tournament in San Jose, Croatia’s Donna Vekić beat former world number 1 Victoria Azarenka of Belarus in straight sets 6:4, 6:3. This was their first ever meeting on the tour. Vekić will play the winner of the match between Belgian Elise Mertens and American Kristie Ahn for a place in the semifinals.
- Croatia celebrates 25th anniversary of operation Storm
- Milanović: A joint criminal enterprise was one of the dumbest and ugliest fabrications
- Croatian government sending equipment and 100,000 euros in aid to Lebanon
- 36 new coronavirus cases in Croatia
- Military training ground in Knin named after Josip Markić
- WWII bomber discovered in Biševo Channel