The Croatian won the only grand slam of his career in New York in 2014. The US Open is the final grand slam of the tennis season.
Marin Čilić (ATP 23) is through to the fourth round of play at the US Open after beating American John Isner (ATP 14) 7:5, 3:6, 7:6, 6:4 in third round action on Saturday.
The statistics in the match proved to be deceptive as the American lead in the majority of the statistical categories. Isner had 40 aces to Čilić’s 20, the American had three double faults to Marin’s 16. Isner also had a better first-serve percentage (71% / 51%) and more winners (57/53). In spite of the statistical dominance, including 14 break balls, of which he managed to capitalize on only one (compared to Marin’s 4:2 ratio) victory went to Čilić.
Čilić will play world number two and the tournament’s second seed Rafael Nadal of Spain for a place in the quarterfinals.
- Croatian government sending equipment and 100,000 euros in aid to Lebanon
- WWII bomber discovered in Biševo Channel
- Croatia celebrates 25th anniversary of operation Storm
- Ivo Zorica wins 305th Sinj Alka
- Zlatni rat and Nugal among the 25 most beautiful European beaches
- 25th anniversary of Slunj liberation celebrated