The Croatian won the only grand slam of his career in New York in 2014. The US Open is the final grand slam of the tennis season.
Marin Čilić (ATP 23) is through to the fourth round of play at the US Open after beating American John Isner (ATP 14) 7:5, 3:6, 7:6, 6:4 in third round action on Saturday.
The statistics in the match proved to be deceptive as the American lead in the majority of the statistical categories. Isner had 40 aces to Čilić’s 20, the American had three double faults to Marin’s 16. Isner also had a better first-serve percentage (71% / 51%) and more winners (57/53). In spite of the statistical dominance, including 14 break balls, of which he managed to capitalize on only one (compared to Marin’s 4:2 ratio) victory went to Čilić.
Čilić will play world number two and the tournament’s second seed Rafael Nadal of Spain for a place in the quarterfinals.
- Penava: Serbia does not accept responsibility for Ovčara
- Prime Minister attends Strategic Dialogue on Western Balkans meeting in Geneva
- EC dismisses HRW’s claims regarding Croatian border control
- Prime Minister and Finance Minister present proposed 2020 budget to parliament
- Campaign for presidential election begins to heat up
- Minister says works on access roads for Pelješac Bridge will begin soon