The commander of the Air Force and several lower-ranking officers were dismissed in the wake of scandal that involved Croatian military pilots transporting a suspected illegal arms dealer in an army helicopter.
The dismissal of the entire chain of command connected to the case was proposed by the Armed Forces Chief of Staff, Gen. Mirko Šundov, and approved by President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović, in her capacity as Armed Forces Commander in Chief.
A military police platoon commander, a flying platoon commander, a squadron commander and the commander of the Zemunik Air Base have been dismissed, Defence Minister Damir Krstičević said in Osijek on Tuesday.
The President has also retired Air Force Commander, Brig. Gen. Mato Mikić, and appointed Brig. Gen. Michael Križanec in his place. Zemunik Air Base commander Mario Pleša has been replaced by Željko Ninić.
The the dismissals came after it was discovered that Air Force pilots had flown a suspected illegal arms dealer in an Air Force helicopter.
Minister Krstičević said today that the newly appointed commanders were top-notch officers and pilots. He stressed that no illegal arms or ammunition had been transported during the incident.
- PM on working visit to Germany
- Croatia marks anniversary of international recognition
- Croatia first to introduce early screening for lung cancer
- Interior minister refutes report by Human Rights Watch
- Green Week Berlin expected to boost Croatian exports
- Plenković says it is unfair for North Macedonia's accession negotiations to be put on hold