Opposition parties in parliament are united on the idea of investigating who is responsible for the shoddy post-war reconstruction of buildings in Sisak-Moslavina County and elsewhere.
After the Homeland War, the Croatian government funded a massive reconstruction effort in the 1990s to rebuild war-torn areas. The earthquake showed that in many cases the companies that were awarded those contracts did a terrible job – using cheap or inadequate materials and poor craftsmanship. The opposition wants to create an investigative commission to hold those in charge of the effort accountable.
Opposition parties have also backed an SDP motion for a review of the work of the National Stockpile due to what appears to be a shortage of emergency-use shipping containers equipped for temporary housing.
MP Tomislav Tomašević from the We Can! platform said since the HDZ said this would be in their interest, they should support the investigation as well. He also underscored the purpose of a parliamentary probe.
"What is important for the commission to determine is not criminal responsibility but political responsibility, and even more importantly, what went wrong with the system," he said.
The opposition believes this is crucial as the country embarks on another massive reconstruction campaign in the wake of the March 2020 earthquake in Zagreb and the December 29 earthquake near Petrinja.
SDP leader Peđa Grbin called out Sisak-Moslavina County Prefect Ivo Žinić, who was in charge of the rebuilding effort back in the 1990s.
"Mr. Žinić, the Sisak-Moslavina County Prefect, is trying really hard to deflect responsibility, but it is clear that the responsibility was with him."
Žinić, who was working at the Ministry of Development and Reconstruction in 1995 and had been put in charge of the rebuilding effort, is one of the people Grbin says is one of the people who should be called to appear before the commission.
- Minister demands investigation into party at Dubrava Covid hospital
- Croatia registers surprise loss to Argentina at handball World Championships
- 599 new coronavirus cases in Croatia in last 24 hours
- European Parliament adopts resolution on assistance for Croatia following earthquake
- 11 year old with coronavirus passes away
- Temporary housing still priority in earthquake hit Banovina