Croatia's Foreign and European Affairs Minister has reacted to criticism levied by President Kolinda Grabar Kitarović regarding the Ministry's failure to properly inform the public of the details of the Marrakesh Agreement.
Minister Marija Pejčinović Burić said on Tuesday she was "disappointed with the reaction from the president's office" and that she did not know the source of the president's frustration.
"At the same time, we have yet to find out exactly what part of the document the president finds controversial. Because for us, nothing about it is controversial. This is important for us to know because this document is the first of its kind since the existence of the UN that attempts to regulate the issue of migration," said Pejčinović Burić.
The Marrakesh Agreement, of which Croatia is a signatory country, has become the subject of political controversy after the president announced earlier that she would not attend the intergovernmental conference in Morocco at which the agreement is set to be adopted next month. The president believes the foreign ministry failed to properly inform the public of the details of the agreement on "regular" migration.
Meanwhile, Parliament Speaker Gordan Jandroković weighed in, saying outside forces are attempting to drive a wedge between the president and the ruling coalition: "What I'd like to know is who, or what group, is generating these controversies and conflicts? Someone is generating these conflicts on purpose between the president and the government. We must find out who is behind this, why they are doing this, and what their goals and intentions are."
- Hvar rings in Good Friday with centuries-old tradition
- International physical education forum held in Zagreb
- Croatia looking to bolster its defense industry through EU funds and PESCO
- Government pledges to help Notre Dame
- Ruling coalition mum on criminal complaint
- Croatia to invest €35 million into tech companies