Speaker of Parliament and Secretary General of the HDZ Gordan Jandroković said on Monday that the presidential elections and support for Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović, as she seeks a second term, were a top priority for the party.
The HDZ’s leadership met on Monday evening to discuss the upcoming session of the Sabor and the presidential elections. Going into the meeting, Jandroković also said the leadership would discuss how members would conduct themselves during the presidential campaign.
“I expect to have a democratic debate and to find the kind of solutions that will give the best support to our presidential candidate,”Jandroković said.
Asked if he expected some members of the party not to go along with the plan, he said he believed all members would actively participate and “do their best”.
“I believe in the good will of my party colleagues. I am confident that all of them would would like to see Kolinda elected for another term as president and I believe they will do their best during the campaign,” he said.
HDZ Vice President Milijan Brkic was asked to comment on Miro Kovac's recent dissenting remarks and said that he always advocated for all problems be resolved internally and that political messages, questions and answers should not be exchanged via the media.
"It is irresponsible and does not contribute to the unity and community of the HDZ," Brkic said.
- Chief State Prosecutor Dražen Jelenić resigns
- Zoran Milanović becomes Croatia’s fifth president
- Parliament debates law on Vukovar as a special place of homeland piety
- Chief State Attorney Jelenić expected to resign over Freemason issue
- Defence Ministry signs 38 procurement contracts with Croatian companies
- Parliament’s Defence Committee approves Robert Hranj as new Chief of General Staff