Marijan Kustić is the new president of the Croatian Democratic Union's Lika-Senj County branch.
Kustić was the only candidate running after County Prefect Darko Milinović was ejected from the HDZ last week for breaching party rules.
The newly-elected president received 32.8% of support from party members. One of his first acts as the leader of the branch will be to revise the list of members since it hasn't been updated for some time.
His victory was congratulated by party president and prime minister Andrej Plenković, as well as numerous prominent party members.
Kustić had this to say following the election win: "We are offering our hand to everyone and we want a unified Croatian Democratic Union which we will definitely work on. That is the only true path for the Croatian Democratic Union, at the next local elections, to regain all those cities and municipalities we lost at the last local elections."
- Former SDP MP defects to HNS and parliamentary majority
- President denies links to suspect in text messages probe
- Migration agreement stokes anger among conservatives
- Interior Minister representing Croatia at Marrakesh Agreement
- Government discusses reforms with coalition
- Anti-corruption council discusses conflict of interest legislation