The Secretary-General of the Council of the European Union has expressed his confidence in Croatia’s ability to lead during its upcoming turn as the president of the Council.
Secretary-General Jeppe Tranholm-Mikkelsen was in Zagreb on Wednesday for talks with top government officials. He said he strongly believed in the success of Croatia's chairmanship of the Council in the first half of 2020.
“This was an opportunity for me to explain what our cooperation will look like during the presidency and to find out the priorities of Croatia's presidency,” he told reporters after talks with Prime Minister Andrej Plenković and members of his government.
Tranholm-Mikkelsen also congratulated Dubravka Šuica on her nomination as the European Commission's vice president for democracy and demography.
“I think it's an expression of the European Union's confidence in your candidates and Croatia as an EU member state,” he said.
- Marija Pejčinović Burić assuming duties as Council of Europe Secretary General
- Central square in Ogulin named after General Petar Stipetić
- Government accepts demands by “67 is too much” initiative
- Unions demand parliament debate on pension reforms
- HBOR and commercial banks agree to new loan deal for farmers
- Production begins at 3rd of May shipyard in Rijeka