Education Minister Radovan Fuchs said on Tuesday that the second semester of school would start on Monday, January 18th. Only first, second, third and fourth graders, as well as students in their last year of High school, will have face to face classes. All other students will resume the school year with online lessons.
Addressing the press after a video conference with Prime Minister Andrej Plenković and the task force dealing with the aftermath of the December 29 quake, the Minister Fuchs said that the talks were still underway on whether it was possible to organise classes at all or whether classes would have be postponed in the quake-affected Sisak-Moslavina County.
"We are in discussions to see if it is possible to fully comply with this variant. Perhaps some teachers are unable to teach for one reason or another. It also might be necessary to delay the continuation of the school year for some children in some schools if there are specific requests to do so," said Fuchs.
Fuchs added that nine schools in the county were totally devastated and that about 20% of school children had left the area in the aftermath of the recent earthquake.
Fuchs said that psychological help for children in the quake-affected areas would also be provided.
Secondary school seniors will start face to face classes so that they can be prepared for graduation exams that will be conducted throughout Croatia at the same time, as planned, he said.
These classes will be held in compliance with more stringent epidemiological rules such as keeping a sufficient distance between students which should be possible as other grades will switch to online lessons.
The national COVID-19 response team has also suggested that all school competitions be postponed for several weeks until the epidemiological situation improves which should be possible thanks to vaccination, said Fuchs and added that teachers were in the second priority group for vaccination.
- Minister demands investigation into party at Dubrava Covid hospital
- Croatia registers surprise loss to Argentina at handball World Championships
- 599 new coronavirus cases in Croatia in last 24 hours
- European Parliament adopts resolution on assistance for Croatia following earthquake
- 11 year old with coronavirus passes away
- Temporary housing still priority in earthquake hit Banovina