Interior Minister Davor Božinović has said that Croatia will not change its policy on migrants, underscoring that the country will continue protecting its border against illegal crossings.
At the same time, Božinović said, Croatia would facilitate the integration of migrants who want to stay in Croatia.
"We are ready to respond to any situation in the event of a stronger influx of migrants," Božinović told reporters at an international conference on homeland security in Zagreb on Tuesday.
Addressing the conference, President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović warned about possible recurrence of migrant crisis, and said that Croatia would respond to such developments in a responsible manner and by protecting its borders.
Minister Božinović said Croatia was keeping a close eye on developments in the Middle East and North Africa, areas that are the sources of a large number of migrants hoping to each Western Europe.
"Currently, there is no direct threat," Božinović said, adding that Croatia had stepped up control of migration.
He also underscored that there had been a rise in the number of human traffickers arrested as a result of both higher pressure from migratory routes and more effective law enforcement.
- Chief State Prosecutor Dražen Jelenić resigns
- Zoran Milanović becomes Croatia’s fifth president
- Parliament debates law on Vukovar as a special place of homeland piety
- Chief State Attorney Jelenić expected to resign over Freemason issue
- Defence Ministry signs 38 procurement contracts with Croatian companies
- Parliament’s Defence Committee approves Robert Hranj as new Chief of General Staff