Croatia will has agreed to take in 12 girls from a migrant camp on the Greek island of Lesbos that was destroyed by a fire earlier this week, confirmed Prime Minister Andrej Plenković on Saturday.
Croatia is joining ten other European countries that have agreed to take part in the relocation of 400 unaccompanied minors from the Moira refugee camp.
“We are going to take in 12 girls. I think this is a good thing, an expression of solidarity and humanity. It also reflects our policy on the very difficult situation these people face and the fact that an entire group of European countries is coming to the aid of Greece and these people,” Plenković said, adding that Croatia could take pride in the decision.
Greece has urged European countries to help as it struggles to find shelter for thousands of migrants left homeless.
It is still not certain when the children will arrive and government officials have said that their relocation could be expedited due to the destruction of the camp.
Moria, infamous for its conditions, hosted more than 12,000 migrants, four times its capacity. It burned down on Wednesday, leaving thousands of migrants out in the open.