Croatia's Filip Zubčić put in a spectacular second run performance in the giant slalom in Naeba, Japan to earn his first World Cup victory.
Zubčić won the giant slalom after coming from 12 place in the first run. On a flawless second run, he made up a mistake in the first and won with a combined time of 2 minutes, 37.25 seconds, nearly 1 second ahead of second place finisher Marco Odermatt of Switzerland and Tommy Ford of the USA.
Zubčić is the first Croatian outside of the Kostelić family to finish first in a World Cup race.
“I finally managed to win the GS, which has been my greatest goal in life,” Zubčić said.
With three races to go, Zubčić is currently third in the race for the small crystal globe at the end of the season.
- High Misdemeanour Court: Thompson did not commit a violation
- New railway connection between Prague and Adriatic planned
- Forbes: Cavtat, Zagreb and Rijeka in the top 20 safest European destinations for post corona holidays
- 48 active coronavirus cases, Croatia ready for second wave
- Only 55 active coronavirus cases in Croatia
- Only 66 active coronavirus cases in Croatia