Defence Minister Damir Krstičević visited the firefighting command centre at Divulje near Trogir on Tuesday.
The minister said the relevant services had to be on alert for the next two months and that the army would remain on stand-by until the end of the peak wild fire season.
"We have 200 soldiers who can be mobilized within one hour," said Krstičević. "Furthermore, we have 1,000 soldiers who can be ready and mobilized within three hours. The Croatian Army is here and ready to help our firefighters," he concluded.
He underlined the importance of the Divulje centre in fighting wildfires as it receives information in real time and is thus able to make decisions on how best to react to ongoing fires. The minister also highlighted the use of drones, which have significantly contributed to preventing fires over the past few months.
Fire Chief Slavko Tucaković said that this season recorded the second highest number of fires in the past ten years but they weren't as fierce or devastating as those in 2017.
Some 3,000 fires have destroyed roughly 30,000 hectares of forest and grassland so far this year.
- Croatia celebrates 25th anniversary of operation Storm
- Milanović: A joint criminal enterprise was one of the dumbest and ugliest fabrications
- Croatian government sending equipment and 100,000 euros in aid to Lebanon
- 36 new coronavirus cases in Croatia
- Military training ground in Knin named after Josip Markić
- WWII bomber discovered in Biševo Channel