The 14-year-old Italian girl who suffered severe carbon monoxide poisoning while sailing on a boat near Hvar has been transferred to regular hospital care from the intensive care unit after showing significant improvement in her condition.
Dr. Tatjana Čatipović Argalić from Split Clinical Hospital told Croatian Radio on Sunday that the teenager was doing much better and had joined her mother in the hospital’s regular unit. Her mother is being treated there for less severe exposure to the harmful gas. However, the five-year-old boy from the same group remains in ICU. He was rushed to hospital via helicopter five days ago along with five other victims from the same boat.
The 14-year-old girl, who was harmed by exposure to carbon monoxide gas was transferred to the regular wing of the hospital yesterday, joining her mother. The five-year old boy is still in intensive care and all available therapies are being applied,” the doctor said.
The gas leak killed a 57-year-old Italian man. The Italians, members of a family and friends, had been on holiday together, sailing on a chartered boat near Hvar. The carbon monoxide seeped into their cabins from a gas generator the ship’s crew had been using to run the air conditioning. The generator was not supposed to be used on a boat, that is, it was not meant to be used in an enclosed space. The boat’s owner and captain are being investigated for negligence. They told investigators that they did not feel responsible for what happened and were released pending further legal action.
- Penava: Serbia does not accept responsibility for Ovčara
- Prime Minister attends Strategic Dialogue on Western Balkans meeting in Geneva
- EC dismisses HRW’s claims regarding Croatian border control
- Prime Minister and Finance Minister present proposed 2020 budget to parliament
- Campaign for presidential election begins to heat up
- Minister says works on access roads for Pelješac Bridge will begin soon