Regional Development and EU Funds minister, Marko Pavić, said the government would apply shortly to the EU Solidarity Fund for the reconstruction of Zagreb after the March 22 earthquake.
The deadline to apply for the funds is June 14, with Pavić saying he expected to receive half-a-billion euros in order to help rebuild the capital city.
"We have to finalize the damage assessment which should be completed this week and forward it to the European Commission. And I am sure it will be done on time. We also expect a 100 million euro advance payment from the solidarity fund. It was under the Croatian EU presidency that appropriate changes were made to allow such large payments to be received without delay," said Pavić.
The minister said that in addition to the money from the solidarity fund, the government was negotiating a 200 million euro loan from the World Bank; 120 million of which would go to the health care sector and 50 million would be reserved for renovations to schools in Zagreb.
Meanwhile, he added that more than 140 million kuna had been set aside from the newly-revised state budget for urgent repairs.
- Croatia reports record number of new Covid-19 infections
- Croatia makes face masks mandatory in stores
- Beroš: Croatia still among EU leaders in containing COVID-19
- Croatia hits new record in coronavirus cases
- 53 new coronavirus cases in Croatia
- Croatia expected to get invite for Eurozone waiting room on Friday