(Photo: HRT) (Photo: HRT)

The Croatian government's Health Council agreed on Friday that it was not necessary to reimpose a quarantine despite the recent increase in coronavirus cases, but rather to continue monitoring developments and for citizens to observe social distancing and practice proper personal hygiene.

Speaking to reporters after the meeting, the prime minister's chief of staff, Zvonimir Frka-Petešić noted that the share of infected people being treated in hospital in Croatia was now twice as low as it was earlier in the pandemic.

He said if people continued to exercise caution and observe physical distancing and hygienic measures, economic activities - including tourism - should continue. At the same time, he said it was important to start preparing for the autumn when the situation is expected to get worse.

The chief of staff added that the spike in cases were mostly attributed to Croatians returning from Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina, and not from the roughly 280,000 tourists currently vacationing in the country.

Gordan Lauc, Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the University of Zagreb, also dismissed the idea of a quarantine, saying the whole of Europe was in a similar situation, and opening up to countries with a similar situation to Croatia's should not be a problem.

Source: HRT