From the 13th to the 21st of October 1991 Serb rebels murdered 32 civilians from the village of Široka Kula.
A somber commemoration was held in Lika on Sunday marking the 28th anniversary of the Široka Kula massacre. The youngest victim of the Serb atrocity was a 13 year-old girl. The true face of the Serb forces was revealed in the fact that they also murdered all five members of the ethnic Serb Rakić family for trying to stop the massacre.
Ivanka Vojvodić was one of the few villagers to survive the brutal war crime: "A commemoration is a contemporary cultural expression. However, what does a commemoration mean for us who to this day still know the truth about our loved ones who suffered here? Nine of them are still listed as missing. What can any of this mean to us when we don't have a grave where we can light a candle?"
- Government adopts decision to hold presidential elections on December 22nd
- Adriatic coast lashed with 145 km/h winds
- Foreign Minister on an official visit to the Vatican
- Finance Minister says Croatia's key challenge is reducing its dependency on imports
- EPP meeting not to be held in Croatian parliament
- Unions to weigh government offer as teachers' strike continues