The Grand Finale of the 36th International Carnival Parade got underway in Rijeka on Sunday afternoon.
The Parade, the jewel in the crown of the carnival festivities along Croatia's northern coast, featured hundreds of allegorical floats, thousands of masked revelers and a countless number of spectators from across the country and beyond.
"This is great. We came from Bjelovar and we are ecstatic," said one spectator. "It's really beautiful and the weather is great. It's simply amazing. The atmosphere is phenomenal," added another. And one young participant said that the carnival gets "better and better each year".
Also in attendance at the festivities was President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović; who organized a reception for members of the international press and foreign diplomats in Croatia.
The president gave a jovial message in carnival-speak, encouraging everyone to have a good time.
"It's great. Absolutely amazing. We have until midnight on Tuesday - prior to the beginning of Lent - to have fun and dress up; to be whoever we want to be, or simply be ourselves. Then, it's back to work on Wednesday," said the president.
- Penava: Serbia does not accept responsibility for Ovčara
- Prime Minister attends Strategic Dialogue on Western Balkans meeting in Geneva
- Prime Minister and Finance Minister present proposed 2020 budget to parliament
- EC dismisses HRW’s claims regarding Croatian border control
- Campaign for presidential election begins to heat up
- Minister says works on access roads for Pelješac Bridge will begin soon