The cast of Exercises in Style were met with a standing ovation at the Gavella Theater in Zagreb on Sunday as they reached a major milestone – 50 years of performances.
Exercises in Style, or Silske vježbe, is the Croatian adaptation of a work by the French author Raymond Queneau in which the same story is told 99 times, each in a different style, by the two leads, Lela Margitić and Pero Kvrgić.
The longevity of this comedy is in part due to the great chemistry between the two actors and their sheer commitment to the play. Margitić is 76 and Krvgić is 91. Neither of them seem to be losing their edge, even after half a century of performing the same piece. Kvrgić was an original cast member from the beginning, while Margitić is the second actress to perform the female lead.
This anniversary performance of Exercises in Style was sponsored by a slew of national cultural institutions. Prime Minister Andrej Plenković and Zagreb Mayor Milan Bandić were among those in the audience on Sunday.
The play was directed and adapted from the original work in the 1960s by Tomislav Radić and translated by Tonko Maroević.
- Quarantine in Murter and Betina, police not allowing anyone in or out
- 442 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Croatia, Man in Istra died from COVID-19
- Coronavirus in Croatia: 49 new cases, four deaths
- Croatian national team basketball players donate more than two million kuna
- 713 people infected with coronavirus in Croatia
- Number of coronavirus cases in Croatia reaches 551