20:00 / 08.05.2020.

Author: Domagoj Ferenčić

Beroš: Currently there is no plan to quarantine Brač

Health Minister Vili Beroš (Screenshot: HRT)

Health Minister Vili Beroš (Screenshot: HRT)

Foto: - / HRT

Following days of single digit growth in coronavirus cases, the past 24 hours saw something of a spike in new infections, with 36. However, the vast majority of them come from the central Dalmatian island of Brač.

22 of the 36 new coronavirus cases registered over the past 24 hours come from the island of Brač. Health Minister Vili Beroš commented on the issue on Croatian Television’s evening news broadcast.

"We know that the virus is among us and that it uses every opportunity to spread. So we have to be careful. The people of Brač allowed the virus to spread. Three epidemiologists are already on Brač, and another team is on its way. However, there is no plan at this time to quarantine the island. We are considering restricting travel to and from the mainland. In which case, those who have to travel because of their job or older family members will be able to do so,” Beroš noted.

Beroš concluded that further a relaxation of measures would continue provided that the epidemiological situation remains good.

Earlier in the day, the Director of the Croatian Public Health Institute, Krunoslav Capak, said that the sharp rise in new infections had nothing to do with the recent relaxation of measures, noting that the 22 cases on the island had all been traced to a single isolated incident and said that he expected Saturday’s epidemiological update to show significantly less new infections.

There have been 2,161 confirmed coronavirus cases in Croatia since the beginning of the outbreak. 1,689 people have achieved a full recovery from the virus, which means that only 472 are still battling COVID-19.

Source: HRT

Vijesti HRT-a pratite na svojim pametnim telefonima i tabletima putem aplikacija za iOS i Android. Pratite nas i na društvenim mrežama Facebook, Twitter, Instagram i YouTube!